The Breakout Room feature allows participants to collaborate in smaller groups within the same meeting, but in separate sessions. Students can work on assignments, colleagues can work on business issues.
- The host chooses to split participants* into the separate sessions automatically,
or select participants for each room.
- Participants can be moved between Breakout Room sessions at any time.
- The host can pre-assign Breakout Rooms.
- The host can move between the Breakout Rooms to monitor activity.
- Up to 50 Breakout Rooms can be created.
- Participants have full audio, video, and share screen capability.
- Participants must have the Zoom Desktop client (app) downloaded before they can be moved into a Breakout Room. Download the app at Zoom Client for Meetings
- Patricipants who joined from the Zoom website cannot be moved into a Breakout Rooms.
Enable Breakout Room
1. Sign in to your account on the website portal at www.conferzoom.org
2. Navigate to 'Meeting Settings' then to 'In Meeting (Advanced)'
3. Enable 'Breakout Room' option.
4. 'Allow pre-assign participants' is an option, it is not required.
Pre-Assign Participants to Breakout Roooms
Participants pre-assigned to a Breakout Room will automatically be placed into the room once the host opens the Breakout Room. Particpants must have a TechConnect Zoom (ConferZoom) account to be pre-assigned; any participant not pre-assigned can also be moved into a Breakout Room during the live event.
1. When scheduling the meeting select 'Breakout Room pre-assign'.
2. Click '+Create Rooms'. Use the default room name, or customize.
3. Enter the email address in the 'Add participants' field, then Save.
Prepare Breakout Rooms in the Live Session
When the Breakout Room feature is enabled, the icon will appear on the live event tool bar.
1. Click the Breakout Rooms icon then click the Options button.
2. Select the preferred options.
3. Particpant who were pre-assigned will automatically join the designated Breakout Room.
4. Select 'Assign' to manually assign other participants to the designated Breakout Room.
Participants not assigned to a Breakout Room will remain in the Main room.
A numeric will indicate how many participants are assigned to the room.
Move or Exchange Participants
1. Open the 'Breakout Rooms' icon on the toolbar.
2. Select the participant then 'Move to' and choose a different room.
3. Select 'Exchange' to swap with a participant in a different room.
Open the Breakout Rooms
Select the 'Breakout Rooms' icon on the toolbar. In the dialogue box 'Open All Rooms'.
Participants are moved into the Breakout Room after confirming the message prompt to join. The host remains in the main room; the host can move into and between rooms.
After clicking 'Join' the following message appears.
Managing Breakout Rooms in Progress
1. The host can enter any Breakout Room by clicking the 'Join' link.
2. Participants who have not accepted the invitation to join the Breakout Room are identified.
3. Sessions can be stopped earlier than the scheduled time.
4. Participants can "Ask for Help' while in a Breakout Room.
The host will receive a message, and can join the room where help was requested.
Broadcast a Message to All Breakout Rooms
1. Click the 'Breakout Rooms' icon on the tool bar.
2. In the open dialogue box select 'Broadcast a message to all', then enter your message.
Particpants will receive the message in a pop-up dialogue box.
Delete, Recreate, Add Rooms
Recording Breakout Rooms
The Host can start a recording while in the Main Room; if the Host joins a Breakout Rooms, the recording will follow the Host. If the Host does not want to record the Breakout Room activity, pause the recording from the main room before dropping in to a Breakout Room, and resume when back in the Main Room.
The Host can allow attendees privileges to record locally to the individuals device/computer. See the article Recording: Allow Attendees to Record the Session