The Breakout Room feature allows participants to collaborate in smaller groups within the same meeting, but in separate sessions. Students can work on assignments, colleagues can work on business issues.
- The host chooses to split participants* into the separate sessions automatically,
or select participants for each room.
- Participants can be moved between Breakout Room sessions at any time.
- The host can pre-assign Breakout Rooms.
- The host can move between the Breakout Rooms to monitor activity.
- Up to 50 Breakout Rooms can be created.
- Participants have full audio, video, and share screen capability.
- Participants must have the Zoom Desktop client (app) downloaded before they can be moved into a Breakout Room. Download the app at Zoom Client for Meetings
- Participants who join the Zoom meeting from the Zoom desktop client, Zoom mobile app, Chrome OS client, or H.323/SIP devices can participate in breakout rooms.
Enable Breakout Room
1. Sign in to your account on the website portal at www.conferzoom.org
2. Navigate to 'Meeting Settings' then to 'In Meeting (Advanced)'
3. Enable 'Breakout Room' option.
4. 'Allow pre-assign participants' is an option, it is not required.
Pre-Assign Participants to Breakout Roooms
Participants pre-assigned to a Breakout Room will automatically be placed into the room once the host opens the Breakout Room. Particpants must have a TechConnect Zoom (ConferZoom) account to be pre-assigned; any participant not pre-assigned can also be moved into a Breakout Room during the live event.
1. When scheduling the meeting select 'Breakout Room pre-assign'.
2. Import CSV file format:
Save as CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)
2. Click '+Create Rooms'. Use the default room name, or customize.
3. Enter the email address in the 'Add participants' field, then Save.
Prepare Breakout Rooms in the Live Session
When the Breakout Room feature is enabled, the icon will appear on the live event tool bar.
1. Click the Breakout Rooms icon then click the Options button.
2. Select the preferred options.
NOTE: The first time a Breakout Room is used, the 'Breakout rooms automatically close' section
will be disabled when opening the 'Options' window. However, if you previously enabled this option, it
becomes the default for your next meeting. Be sure to always check the options before opening
Breakout Rooms to avoid unplanned room closing.
3. Particpant who were pre-assigned will automatically join the designated Breakout Room.
4. Select 'Assign' to manually assign other participants to the designated Breakout Room.
Participants not assigned to a Breakout Room will remain in the Main room.
A numeric will indicate how many participants are assigned to the room.
Move or Exchange Participants
1. Open the 'Breakout Rooms' icon on the toolbar.
2. Select the participant then 'Move to' and choose a different room.
3. Select 'Exchange' to swap with a participant in a different room.
Open the Breakout Rooms
Select the 'Breakout Rooms' icon on the toolbar. In the dialogue box 'Open All Rooms'.
Participants are moved into the Breakout Room after confirming the message prompt to join. The host remains in the main room; the host can move into and between rooms.
After clicking 'Join' the following message appears.
Managing Breakout Rooms in Progress
1. The host can enter any Breakout Room by clicking the 'Join' link.
2. Participants who have not accepted the invitation to join the Breakout Room are identified.
3. Sessions can be stopped earlier than the scheduled time.
4. Participants can "Ask for Help' while in a Breakout Room.
The host will receive a message, and can join the room where help was requested.
Broadcast a Message to All Breakout Rooms
1. Click the 'Breakout Rooms' icon on the tool bar.
2. In the open dialogue box select 'Broadcast a message to all', then enter your message.
Particpants will receive the message in a pop-up dialogue box.
Delete, Recreate, Add Rooms
Recording Breakout Rooms
If the meeting is being cloud recorded, it will only record the main room, regardless of what room the meeting host is in. If local recording is being used, it will record the room the participant who is recording is in. Multiple participants can record locally.
Recording while in a breakout room
1) Ask the host for permission to record. The host needs to allow recording before opening the breakout rooms. If the host has already open the breakouts rooms, they can join your breakout room to allow you to record.
2. Click Record in the meeting controls to start a local recording.
3. The host will need to invite you to join the breakout room.
4. Click the pause or stop icon in the meeting controls to pause or stop the recording.
5. The recording can also be stopped or paused by clicking the indicator in the top left corner.