Meetings that you schedule in TechConnect Zoom in Canvas will appear in the Zoom web portal outside of Canvas. For meetings scheduled directly in the Zoom web portal, you can import those meetings to TechConnect Zoom in Canvas if desired.
Another option available to you is making meetings in one Canvas Course available in other Canvas Courses.
Schedule a New Meeting
The Zoom scheduler in Canvas looks identical to the scheduler in the Zoom web portal.
- Click on Schedule a New Meeting.
- Enter the appropriate scheduling information. (The default settings from your account in the web portal will apply to meetings scheduled in Canvas. However, you do have the option to change the settings when scheduling a new meeting.)
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Note: The setting Only authenticated users can join meetings requires participants to have a Zoom account and to be signed into their account before they can join a Zoom meeting.
Import a Meeting from Zoom to Canvas
Meetings scheduled directly in Zoom can be imported into your course in the TechConnect Zoom tool in Canvas. Recordings in your Zoom account can also be imported - the steps are exactly the same.
- Sign into the Zoom web portal.
- Click on Meetings in the left navigation menu.
- Copy the Meeting ID for the scheduled meeting to be imported into Canvas.
- Return to Canvas TechConnect Zoom.
- Click the 3 dots icon next to Schedule a New Meeting.
- Select Import meeting.
- Enter the Meeting ID.
- Click Import.
Add a Scheduled Meeting to Another Course
Meetings can be scheduled in one Course, then shared with other Courses in which you are a teacher. This method can be used for open office hours Courses.
Follow the steps to schedule the meeting in the first Course.
- Copy the Meeting ID.
- Navigate to the second Course, then follow the steps to Import a Meeting.
When a cloud recording is created in a shared meeting, the recording will populate in the Courses where the meeting was shared.
Personal Meeting Room
This is an instant meeting when launched from the Personal Meeting Room page. Please note that you can also Schedule a New Meeting using the Personal Meeting ID. The ID is a static number used for every meeting when Personal Meeting ID is selected. It is a 24/7/365 room; anyone with the ID could join at anytime, possible interrupting a session in progress. We recommend using a password if you prefer to use your Personal Meeting ID.
Displays all scheduled events; launch the meeting by clicking the Start button.
Displays previous events; meetings will appear on this page after the scheduled end time.
Inviting a Guest Speaker to Your Class Meeting within Your Canvas Course
- Locate and click the Topic of the meeting to which you would like to invite your guest(s).
- Scroll down to Invite Attendees area and copy the Join URL.
- Send the link via email to the guest lecturer(s) you are inviting to your class meeting.