Purchasing a Zoom translated captions add-on license will allow your meeting/webinar attendees to have one spoken language automatically translated in real-time to captions in another language.
Once the add-on license is purchased and assigned to the account, follow the instructions below to enable translated captions for your use.
Enable the Translated Captions setting:
- Click Settings in the left navigation menu.
- Click the Meeting tab.
- Locate the Translated captions setting and toggle to enable.
- (Optional) Click Edit translation languages to select language pairs you want available in the meeting.
Captions are translated according to the language pairs that have been enabled by the host. A language pair consists of an input-speaking language and the output caption language.
For example, if you were hosting a presentation and planned to speak in English, but were expecting attendees from Spain, China, and Ukraine to attend, you would enable English as the Speaking Language and Spanish, Chinese, and Ukrainian as the Translate to languages, so that those languages are available for your participants to choose from in the meeting.
By default, all supported language pairs are enabled, but these can be adjusted to suit your needs.
Zoom periodically adds new language options.
Adjusting Language Pairs:
- After enabling the translated captions setting, click Edit translation languages.
The Translation Languages window will appear.
- (Optional) Click the Select all language pairs check box to enable all available language pairs. This option is enabled by default.
- Under the Speaking Language column, click the check box next to each language to include or exclude that language as a possible input language.
- For languages that you have enabled, click the drop-down menu under the Translate to column to select which languages you want captions to be translated into.
- Click Save to confirm selections.
Viewing Translated Captions:
The language of the translated captions can be set by each individual participant. Language pairs (the input speaking language and the output caption language) available to participants are determined by the host’s settings.
- Next to the Show Captions button, click the up arrow.
- Under the Translate to section of the menu, click on the language you want the captions translated to. Click the More option to see more available languages.
Once a different language is chosen, the captions will be generated and translated into that language for you. Other participants can choose a language for their captions independently of your chosen language.
Note: Attendees must be on the supported versions of the Zoom desktop client for Windows and macOS to view translated captions in Meetings and Webinars.