As the instructor for the course, you are able to offer one-on-one available appointment time slots for your students to reserve. The set of offered appointment slots that you schedule is considered an Appointment Block. The time frame of that appointment block is listed on the left of the block, with the time slots available to reserve below the designated Appointment Block.
Offer Available Slots in an Appointment Block
- Click on Appointment Booking tab in the top menu.
- Click on the blue Offer Slots button to schedule the appointment slots that will be available for your students to reserve.
Choose the occurrence, days of the week, specify a date range and time range, slot duration, and if you'll need breaks in between slots, you can designate how many minutes you'd like your breaks to be. Under Available to reserve in, you can choose to schedule for this course only or all your courses.
- Click Save. Once you have saved, you will not be able to adjust the details (time frame, slot times, breaks) of the series. If you made a mistake in scheduling, you'll need to delete the block and re-schedule.
If you click on Save but your appointment block includes slots/breaks that do not align with the time frame that you have designated, you will get a warning: Resolve slot misalignment.
If you click on Go back and adjust settings manually, then you'll be taken back to the scheduler where you can change the time frame or slots/breaks so they align. If you click on Forgo extra time, then then the last slot will not be available and will give an 'Invalid slot start time' error if you or a student try to reserve it. If you click on Extend time, then the original appointment block time frame will align automatically.
Student Reserves Appointment
The student chooses the teacher they want to book the appointment with from the drop-down menu. There is an advanced option from the drop-down menu, Search for Slots. This feature allows students to filter the slots they are looking for based on the dates, days, times, and teacher.
When the student selects their instructor, the instructor’s available appointments appear. A student can cancel an instructor-reserved appointment that a teacher scheduled for that individual student. A student also only sees the details of their own appointments, and will see Taken next to a time slot that has been reserved by another student, and not the other student's name or appointment details. A complete student guide is available here: https://ccctechconnect.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408703974171.
Reserve Appointment for Student
- Click the plus icon (+) to the right of an available time slot.
- Select the student from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the topic as well as summarize the purpose of the appointment.
- Click on the blue Reserve Appointment button.
- Under Student to reserve for, select student. If a student’s name is not appearing on the list, you will need to instruct the student to click on Student Connect in their Canvas account. The student needs to access Student Connect in Canvas for their name to populate on the list.
- Enter in an Appointment Topic and Purpose of appointment.
- Click on Reserve Appointment.
Reserve Appointment for Guest
You can reserve an appointment for a student or guest not enrolled in their course by using the Guest invite link only.
There is a second procedure to invite guests when the appointment is already scheduled. When the you select the plus icon (+) next to the topic to get more details about an upcoming meeting, the option to invite a guest appears.
View and Start an Appointment
Under the Appointment Booking tab, you will see all booked appointments and available slots. If you click on the plus icon (+) next to a reserved appointment time, you can can view the meeting details. You'll also see Host 15 minutes prior and during the scheduled appointment time. You can click on Host to start your meeting.
If it's outside of the appointment time, you'll see Prepare. Clicking on Prepare will take you into the meeting room if you wanted to join the meeting earlier than 15 minutes prior.
Managing Scheduled Appointments
You can cancel reserved appointment slots up to 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of the slot.
Cancel Single Appointment
- Click on the plus icon (+) to the left of the desired appointment.
- Click on Cancel Appointment. Cancelling the appointment will reopen the availability of the time slot for students to reserve.
Delete an Appointment Block Series with Scheduled and Unscheduled Appointments
If you have an appointment block series, you have the option to delete the appointment block even if there are scheduled appointments in your block/series. Or, you can choose to keep the scheduled appointments and delete the unscheduled.
- Click on the plus icon (+) to the left of the appointment block.
- Click on the eraser icon.
- Select if you'd like to delete the individual appointment block, the series of blocks from there onward, or all blocks in the series.
- You will be prompted to choose if you want to delete the scheduled appointments.
If you have a single appointment block, not a part of the series, you will not see the series option above, but will still be able to delete the block by clicking on the eraser icon, and if you have scheduled appointments, you'll still get the prompt to choose to keep or delete the scheduled appointments in the block.
Note: You cannot delete an individual unscheduled appointment slot. Select to Restrict the slot instead. See below.
Although you cannot delete an individual unscheduled appointment slot, you can restrict an appointment slot if you do not want to make it available for students to reserve. You can choose to enter a reason for the cancellation and make it visible to students.
Slots can be restricted and then reopened when needed. Please note that if a slot is reserved you must first cancel the reservation, and then you can restrict the slot. You can un-restrict the slot by clicking on the slot and then on Reopen for reservation.