Managing the ability for participants to mute and unmute themselves can help prevent distractions and interruptions during a meeting.
Account Setting: Mute all participants when they join a meeting
With this setting enabled, when a participant joins your meeting, they will be muted.
To locate the account setting, log into the TechConnect Zoom web portal: https://www.conferzoom.org/
- Click on Settings in the left navigation menu
- Scroll down to setting Mute all participants when they join a meeting
Account Setting: Request permission to unmute
With the Request permission to unmute setting enabled, when a participant joins your meeting, the participant will get a notification asking for host permission to unmute them. If the participant grants permission, all meetings that the you schedule as the host that the participant joins, you will be able to unmute that participant yourself. The participant can withdraw this permission in their meeting settings to remove the host ability to unmute them.
If the participant does not grant permission when joining the meeting, the host will still have the ability to prompt the participant to unmute themself during the meeting.
To locate the account setting, scroll down to setting Request permission to unmute.
Scheduler: Mute/Unmute Settings
When the two above settings are enabled on the account level, they will appear when scheduling your meeting so you may change these settings per meeting as needed.
In-Meeting: Mute/Unmute Settings
In the live meeting you also will have the ability to disable/enable the participants' mute/unmute settings.
- Start the meeting
- Click on the Participant icon
- Click on More on the bottom right corner of the participant list
- Mute/unmute settings will appear
- Ask all to unmute
- If you do not have the Request permission to unmute account setting enabled, as the host you still have the option of asking all to unmute in the live meeting.
- Mute all upon entry
- Allow Participants to: Unmute themselves
- As the host, if you enable Allow participants to unmute themselves, the participant will be able to unmute and mute as they wish during the meeting.
- If you disable the Allow participants to unmute themselves setting, if the participant clicks to unmute themself, they will see a pop up that says 'The host is not allowing participants to unmute themselves' in the live meeting.
For Zoom's complete information regarding muting/unmuting participants in your meeting, go to https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203435537-Muting-unmuting-participants-in-a-meeting#h_01EGHB8TMFSCBYGV4C4VP8KCZY.