ConferZoom in Canvas is an integration tool which connects to your Zoom account when scheduling class meetings. The interface includes tabs for the Event Calendar, Appointment Booking, Event Recordings, Event Attendance and Files. This article explains each tab feature and other functions.
Before you begin, check your TechConnect Zoom account settings. Due to a password policy implemented by Zoom, passwords are required when using ConferZoom in Canvas. The ConferZoom tool in Canvas automatically manages passwords, enabling a seamless connection without a password prompt for students when clicking the Join button. To be sure students are not requried to enter a password:
- Sign into your TechConnect Zoom account at https://www.conferzoom.org/
- Navigate to Settings > Meeting
- Disable Use Personal Meeting ID (PMI) when scheduling a meeting.
- When the PMI is set as the default, the password will change each time, and prompt the student to enter a password. Note: If the settings had to be modified, delete all previously scheduled meetings in Canvas, then reschedule.
The first time using ConferZoom, navigate to the top right of the screen and click Account Settings. View your information, set up email notifications, integrate meetings to your personal calendar, and most important is to sync Canvas to your Zoom account.
More information on account setting left navigation menu and ensuring your account syncs, is found here: Account Settings.
Schedule meetings through the Event Calendar tab. Click Schedule and enter the meeting details.
- Name is a default for the course, edit the name for specific information about the meeting.
- Select the Repeat sequence:
- Single for one meeting,
- Daily and Weekly for a recurring series; choose the days of the week for the meetings.
- Click Hosted by to schedule for another teacher in the course.
- When all details are entered, click Save.
Click Quick Launch will start an instant meeting without scheduling; the meeting will appear in the course for students to join.
Note: ConferZoom is a placeholder; the meeting is created in the Zoom web portal when the Host button or the More Details link is clicked.
View Details and Edit the Meeting
Click the + icon next to the title of your meeting to expand the details; icons located at the bottom allow for additional functions (icons reading from left to right):
- Edit to change the date, time, duration and host for the scheduled meeting.
- Invite to create and send a link to guests who are not part of the course, and share the recording file link.
- Share Event to share the meeting to another course so students from both courses can
join the same meeting.
- Erase to delete an event/series, prompts to select which part of the series to delete.
Learn about Appointment Booking for scheduling one-on-one private meetings with students.
Advance through the dates using the left/right arrows, or the date drop-down menu. Select your preferred view of your upcoming scheduled by clicking Day/Week/Agenda located on the top right. Day and Week lists the events hour by hour, Agenda shows a summary of upcoming week, or the week chosen on the calendar.
The Event Recordings page lists all meetings; Check for Recordings to download cloud recordings, or View Recordings for available files after the download. Files designated with (Streaming) will run on the web, all others will open in a player or download the file.
Verify your account cloud recording settings; disable Local recording to ensure recordings download to the Canvas course.
Note: You may receive notification the recording is ready in Zoom, however, download time to Canvas can take longer due to server activity.
When students enter the session using the Join button attendance details are tracked.
Click on Event Attendance then Check for Attendance. Details include host, student name, email, IP address, joined and left time. The details can be downloaded to a CSV file.
Upload and store files for the course; use Share screens in Zoom to share the files with the students.
Lists the names of the students, instructors, and TA’s enrolled in the courser after the student has clicked on the ConferZoom navigation tool. This step is needed before the teacher can schedule an appointment on behalf of the student.