Focus mode was designed for students, but can be used by everyone. Focus Mode allows students to stay attentive or work on their tasks while under supervision, without being distracted by others and their tasks.
This feature gives the host, co-hosts, and participants spotlighted* by the host a view of all participants’ videos without other participants seeing each other. Participants in ‘Focus mode’ can still see their own video but only see other participants' names, their nonverbal feedback or reactions, and hear them when unmuted.
This host/co-host can view and switch between each participant’s shared screen, while the participants can only view their own content. If the host finds a participant’s content should be shared with others, they can easily begin sharing the participant’s screen with others.
Prerequisites: Zoom desktop client
Windows: 5.7.3 or higher
macOS: 5.7.3 or higher
Enable Focus Mode
1. Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
2. In the navigation panel, click 'Settings' >'Meeting' tab.
3. Under In Meeting (Advanced), click the 'Focus Mode' toggle to enable or disable it.
Scheduling Meetings with Focus Mode Automatically When Meeting Starts (Using the TechConnect Zoom Portal)
Once you enable Focus Mode in the Zoom Portal; you will have the option to schedule meetings with Focus Mode Automatically when the meeting starts. You will find this choice in the Options area of the scheduler. Just click the option for Enable focus mode when meeting starts.
Scheduling Meetings with Focus Mode Automatically When Meeting Starts (Using the Zoom (Client) Desktop APP)
You may need to sign out and sign back into the Zoom Desktop APP if you do not see the option to Enable Focus Mode when meeting starts in the Advanced Options area of the scheduler.
Use Focus Mode in a Meeting
1. Start the meeting.
2. Click 'More' on the meeting toolbar.
3. Click 'Start Focus Mode'.
- The host and participants are notified with a banner at the top of the video.
- When active, the 'Focus Mode' icon is visible in the top-left corner of the video window.
Allow Others to View a Participants Shared Screen
1. Click the Up arrow to the right of the Share Screen .
2. in the 'Shared screes can bee seen by' section, click 'All Participants'.
3. To return to just the host and co-hosts can view shared content, click 'Host only'.
End Focus Mode
1. Click 'More...' on the meeting toolbar.
2. Click 'Stop Focus Mode'.
*Spotlighting participants' video https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653