The Virtual Background feature allows you to display an image or video as your background during a Zoom meeting, which can provide you with more privacy or a consistent and professional look for a presentation.
Sign in to the Zoom web portal at https://www.conferzoom.org/.
- In the navigation menu, click Settings.
- In the Meeting tab, navigate to Virtual Background and verify the setting is enabled.
Change Virtual Background on Desktop
- Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
- Click your profile picture in the top right corner, then click Settings.
- Select Backgrounds & Filters.
- Check I have a green screen if you have a physical green screen set up. You can then click on your video to select the correct color for the green screen.
- Click on an image or video to select the desired virtual background.
- (Optional) Add your own image by clicking and choosing if you want to upload an image or a video.
If you see that some virtual background features are unavailable to select, check prerequisites to use the feature. Zoom article links available at end of this article.
Selecting virtual background during a meeting
- Start meeting.
- Click the up arrow button next to Start Video/Stop Video in your meeting controls.
- Desktop client will open, select your virtual background.
Troubleshooting Virtual Background issues
If you are experiencing issues with Virtual Background, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- If you do not have the Virtual Background tab in your desktop client settings after enabling it, sign out of the client, sign back in again, and check the settings again.
- Manually pick the background color to ensure the correct color is selected. This option is only available after you click an image and have I have a green screen selected. Click the color selector box and the virtual background will disappear temporarily, so that you can click on the color in your background that you want to replace with the virtual background. Zoom will automatically make a best guess as to which color should be replaced, but sometimes there are too many choices to accurately guess the correct one. This is why sometimes the virtual background will cover some of your face, as the color it selected was too close to your own skin tone.
- Ensure that the background is a solid color with minimal shadows. Also, ensure the background is uniform in lighting. A 3-point lighting setup is ideal.
- Ensure that your green screen color does not match your shirt, hair, or eye color.
- If you are using VDI, some plugins do not support virtual backgrounds and less powerful thin client machines may also be unable to support the feature. Support for additional VDI platforms is in development and customers should check with their sales representative for updates.
For complete information regarding virtual background including prerequisites to use the feature, go to https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/210707503-Virtual-background.
For complete information regarding blurred background including prerequisites to use the feature, go to https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360061468611.