Create a professional appearance or a fun look in a less formal meeting with Virtual Backgrounds and active Avatars. Users who do not want to turn on their camera but still want to engage with their attendees and leverage the power of body language and facial expressions can replace their appearance with a 3D virtual Avatar that mirrors your head movements and facial expressions.
- In the navigation menu, click Settings.
- In the Meeting tab, navigate to In Meeting (Advanced) to locate Virtual Background and verify the setting is enabled.
Change a Virtual Background on the Desktop Client
- Sign into the Zoom desktop client.
- Click your profile picture on the top right corner, then click Settings.
- Select Backgrounds & Effects.
- Check I have a green screen if you have a physical green screen set up. You can then click on your video to select the correct color for the green screen.
- Click on an image or video to select the desired virtual background.
- Option to add your own image by clicking to upload an image or a video.
If some virtual background features are unavailable to select, check the prerequisites to use this feature. Zoom article links available at end of this article.
Select a Virtual Background During a Meeting
- Start the meeting.
- Click the up-arrow button next to Start Video/Stop Video in meeting controls.
- Select Choose Virtual Background...
- The desktop client will open, select Choose Virtual Background to make a selection.
For complete information regarding virtual background including prerequisites to use the feature and troubleshooting virtual background issues, go to https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/210707503-Virtual-background.
For complete information regarding blurred background including prerequisites to use the feature, go to https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360061468611.
Create an Avatar
Avatars are created in the desktop app, then launched during the live meeting. They can be used as an active reflection of head and mouth movements, or a static image in place of your profile picture.
Sign into desktop client and on the top right click on your profile.
- Navigate to Settings
- Click Background & Effects
- Tab over to Avatars
- Select a pre-set image or click the + sign to create a human avatar.
Use the Avatar
- In the live meeting click the up-caret next to the Start/Stop Video icon.
- If you have pre-selected an avatar prior to the start of the meeting, click Show Avatar to start showing your avatar when you turn on your video. If you have not, click Choose Avatar... and follow the next two steps.
- The desktop client will open, select an avatar, then close the window.
- Start your video if you have not already, and your avatar will display.