Due to a new password policy implemented by Zoom, passwords are required when connecting to
a ConferZoom meeting created in Canvas. The ConferZoom app in Canvas automatically manages passwords, enabling a seamless connection without a password prompt for students. We encourage faculty to have students connect using these secure meeting connections through Canvas which are protected by embedded passwords and other security measures to assure your privacy and safety.
There is no need to change password settings in your ConferZoom account.
If faculty decides to share a meeting link for students to join from outside of Canvas, there are three options; Option 1 and 2 are the recommended options. Please follow these steps to ensure the secure link is shared, which includes the embedded password.
1. Capture the external invitation link from Canvas, expand the meeting title, then click the + icon.
- Select ‘Send a link in an email’.
- Enter the student email address, then send the invitation; the email is sent from the account associated with Canvas.
1. Send the email from your preferred email client. Select ‘Generate a link to copy and paste’.
2. Copy the link, and send from your preferred email account.
This is an advanced option for those who you choose to go outside of Canvas, this is not a preferred recommendation.
To capture the invitation details from Zoom, ‘force’ Canvas to post the meeting details in Zoom:
1. Locate the ‘Event’ in Canvas.
2. Click to expand the meeting title, then click ‘More Details’.
3. Sign into Zoom on www.conferzoom.org
4. Navigate to ‘Meetings’ on the left, click on the Meeting Topic, DO NOT share the meeting
Meeting ID that appears on the right.
6. Scroll down to the field ‘Invite Attendees’.
7. Copy the link that follows ‘Join URL’, this is the secure link with the embedded password.