An uninvited participant can join using a link that was shared publicly, or by entering random numbers to join a live meeting. Prevent uninvited participants from disrupting your meeting room by stopping them at the door with a few simple changes to your account settings.
It is highly recommended that you DO NOT share your meeting links on social media.
Sign into your account on https://www.conferzoom.org/.
- Click on Settings on the left navigation menu.
- Select the Meetings tab.
- Scroll down the list to identify the settings described below; change each setting as appropriate.
- The settings are applied at a default level to all of your meetings when they are scheduled.
- Setting changes will not apply to meetings that have already been scheduled. Reschedule the meeting if it is important to have these settings apply to your meetings.
Consider the Below Settings to Secure Your Meetings
- Use Personal Meeting ID - Disable. This is a persistent ID that can be accessed at any time, regardless of scheduled times.
- Require a Password - Enable. If you are scheduling and hosting outside of Canvas. Scheduling and hosting from within Canvas does not need a password. Validation is already in place when the student is enrolled in the course and joins.
- Mute all participants when they join a meeting - Enable. Participants can turn on their mics when in the meeting. You have an option to 'Mute all', then choose 'do not allow participants to unmute themselves' to restrict their microphone in the live meeting.
- Play sound when participants join or leave - Enable. Allows you to monitor when a new attendee joins your meeting.
- Allow removed participants to rejoin - Disable. To remove a participant from the meeting see instructions further down. Attendees can also be removed from the Waiting Room.
- Allow participants to rename themselves - Disable. Provides only you with the control to rename attendees to prevent participants from changing their name in the meeting.
- Hide participant profile pictures in a meeting - Enable. Hide profile pictures to keep from distracting or inappropriate profile images from appearing.
- Waiting Room - Enable. Participants are held in a separate holding area until the host admits them one at a time, or all at once. Participants can be moved back into the Waiting Room from the Main Room. The Waiting Room screen can be customized to assure attendees they are in the right place.
- Screen Sharing - Enable only if additional option 'Host only can share' is enabled. Participants will still see the screen share icon in their control bar, but will see a message saying 'host disabled participant screen sharing' if they click on the icon.
- Participants Video - Disable. Meeting will start with participant video off; however, participants can change this during the meeting. You have the option to disable allowing participant to start their video by clicking on the Security icon in the meeting controls.
Secure a Live Meeting
On the Zoom toolbar click the Security Icon to expand the menu:
- Lock the Meeting: Prevent anyone else from joining, especially if you are using the Waiting Room.
- Enable the Waiting Room: If not a selected option when meeting was scheduled.
- Allow Participants to: Select options for participants.
- Suspend Participant Activities: Immediately suspend all participant activities, which will mute all video and audio, stop screen sharing, end all breakout rooms, and pause recording.
Report To Zoom's Trust and Safety Team During Live Meeting
On the top left of the meeting screen select the green security icon. Click on Report at the bottom left of the meeting information window to report and provide details about the problem. You can also upload evidence, such as screenshots. Select the Include desktop screenshot check box to include a current screenshot of your desktop.
Remove/Report a Participant From the Participant List During Live Meeting
- Click on Participant list
- Select the More menu next to the participant name
- Select Remove or Report
Participant cannot re-join unless 'Allow removed participants to rejoin' is enabled in your
account Meeting Settings.
Removing can also be done from the Security Icon in the control bar once participants have joined the meeting.
- To create a webinar-like meeting with restricted attendee interaction, watch our 05-06-22 Prevent Disruptive Behavior in TechConnect Zoom Meetings Presentation
- Watch a video about Keeping Unwanted Attendees from Joining Your Zoom Meeting
- Zoom's PDF Best Practices for Securing Your Zoom Meetings