Prevent uninvited participants from disrupting your meeting room by stopping them at the door with a
few simple changes to your account settings.
The uninvited participant joins using a link that was shared, or entered random numbers and found a
live meeting with the same meeting ID.
Changing your account settings prior to scheduling meetings either from Canvas or outside of Canvas.
Setting changes can also manage a participant who was invited, but then became disruptive.
- Sign into your account on conferzoom.org.
- Go to ‘Settings’ on the left navigation menu.
- Select the ‘Meetings’ tab.
- Scroll down the list to identify the settings described below; change each setting as appropriate.
- The settings are applied at a default level to all of your meetings when they are scheduled.
- Setting changes will not apply to meetings that have already been scheduled.
- Reschedule the meeting if it is important to have these settings apply to your meetings.
The Security icon was added to live meetings on April 8, 2020 to quickly take action to prevent meeting
disruptions. However, we recommend updating your account settings which will become your default settings when scheduling meetings. The option to 'Lock Meeting' only takes place during the live meeting.
Establish Default Account Settings for All Meetings
Please note the settings will only apply to new meetings, not previously scheduled meetings.
- 'Use Personal Meeting ID' – Disable
This is a persistent ID that can be accessed at any time, regardless of scheduled times.
- 'Require a Password' - Enable
If you are scheduling and hosting outside of Canvas.
Scheduling and hosting from within Canvas does not need a password.
Validation is already in place when the student is enrolled in the course, and joins.
- 'Mute participants upon entry' - Enable
Participants can turn on their mics when in the meeting.
You have an option to 'Mute all', then choose do not allow participants to unmute themself.
- ‘Play sound when participants join or leave’
This is a personal preference.
- 'Allow removed participants to rejoin' - Disable
Remove a participant from the meeting.
Hover over the name, then select 'Remove' from the 'More' menu.
Attendees can also be removed from the ‘Waiting Room’
- ‘Allow participants to rename themselves’
Personal preference to stop or allow participants from changing the screen name that appears in the meeting.
- 'Hide participant profile pictures in a meeting'
- 'Waiting Room' – Enable
Participants are held in a separate holding area until the host admits them one at a time, or all at once. Participants can be moved back into the Waiting Room from the Main Room. The Waiting Room screen can be customized to assure attendees they are in the right place.
In the Live Meeting
- Lock the Meeting
Prevent anyone else from joining, especially if you are using the Waiting Room option.
Open the Participants list, at the bottom select the ‘More’ menu, then ‘Lock Meeting’
- Remove Participant
Allows you to remove a participant from a meeting. The participant cannot re-join unless Allow removed participants to rejoin is enabled in Meeting Settings.
Allows you to report a user to Zoo's Trust and Safety team. You will be able to select which user to report and provide details about the problem. You can also upload evidence, such as screenshots.