Hosts needing closed captioning in their meetings/webinars have the below options available.
Zoom Manual Captions allows the host to assign someone to type captions or an integrated third-party closed caption service.
Zoom Automated Captions provide AI (artificial intelligence) auto-generated live transcription. This feature also allows speakers in other languages to select another automated caption language. There are 17 languages to choose from, English being one of them.
Enable Account Settings for Manual and Automated Captions
- Sign into your Zoom account.
- On the left navigation select Settings.
- Click on the Meeting tab, then click on In Meeting (Advanced).
- Navigate to Manual captions.
Toggle to enable Manual captions; select options for who can enter captions.
Click the pencil icon for language choices. It is recommended only the languge for automated captioning is selected.
Enable Captions in a Live Meeting
Only the host can assign a participant to type closed captions.
- Start your meeting or webinar.
- Click the up arrow next to the CC icon in the meeting controls, or select Captions under ... More
- Under Host controls, click on Set up manual captioner...
- Click On to turn on Enable manual captioner. These setps must be completed before assigning a participant to enter captions.
Assign a Participant to Type Closed Captions
- Hover over the name of the captioner in the participant list.
- Click on More... to the right of the captioner’s name.
- Click on Assign to type closed captions.
After assigning, a CC will appear next to the captioner’s name in the participant list. Particpants can click on the CC Show Captions icon in the meeting controls to view captions.
When automated captions are used, the host and attendees can click on the CC Show Captions icon in the meeting controls to view captions. A dialogue box will open for the host to conform or change the language for captions.
- Captions will include the speaker’s profile picture or initials next to the caption text box.
- Hosts can disable automated captioning during a live meeting.
- Automated Captions in another language do not translate one language to another. It only provides captions of the spoken language selected.
Note: Zoom Translated Captions add-on license is required to translate captions from one language to another.
Additional Caption Options
Host and attendees can click the up arrow to the right of the CC icon, or select More and then Captions, to see the below additional options.
- View Full Transcript presents a continuous transcript on the right panel; a ‘Save Transcript’ option is available. Mobile device users will only be able to view the full transcript.
- Caption Settings… opens the accessibility settings in the desktop client to change the transcription font size, and customize the color of the captioning text with a color palette.
- Auto-start captions when joining meetings and webinars
Participants and webinar attendees can select in the client accessibility settings to have automated captioning automatically appear when the feature is being used in the live event.
- Enhanced caption customization options
Users can customize the width of captions in a meeting or webinar to suit their needs.