Zoom has several options for creating virtual closed captioning in your Zoom meetings/webinars that provide subtitles for video conferencing. These options can be enabled and used for participants to easily follow the conversations or to meet accessibility requirements.
In meetings, the host or another meeting attendee assigned by the host can provide live manual captioning, an integrated third-party closed captioning service can provide the captioning, or Zoom’s automated captions (also known as live transcription) feature can provide automatic captioning run by AI (artificial itelligence) through closed caption settings. These same options are available with webinars, although manual captioning can only be provided by the host or a panelist. Any of these captioning options are also viewable in Zoom Rooms.
A host would need to secure a live closed captioner for their event when using the manual Closed Caption feature. The captions would stream over the content as the conversation takes place, or, the viewer can open the Full Transcript option to read a text file of the captions, including the ability to read prior caption entries.
Please note: TechConnect does not arrange captioning via 3rd party services on your behalf, nor pay for these services. Please check with your college or go directly to the DECT project at the College of the Canyons to view their scope of what they will caption for you.
Enable Closed Captioning for Meetings or Webinars
The Closed Caption setting must be enabled in your account before scheduling meetings/webinars.
- Sign into your TechConnect Zoom account at https://www.conferzoom.org/.
- On the left navigation select Settings
- Click on the Meeting tab, then click on In Meeting (Advanced).
- Navigate to Manual captions:
- Toggle to enable (blue) Manual captions
- Check both options so they are available in case you may need them at some point.
- Enable Automated captions, Full transcript and Save Captions
Start Closed Captions
Only the host can assign a participant to type closed captions.
- Start your meeting or webinar
- Click the CC icon in the meeting controls
- Select one of the following options:
- Assign a participant to type: Assigns a participant to type closed captions during the meeting.
- I will type: Opens the closed captioning window for you to manually type closed captions.
- Copy the API token: Copy the URL that you can provide to a third-party closed captioning service to integrate the service with your meeting.
- Enable Auto-Transcription enables automated captions.
- Allow participants to request Live transcription (Automated Captions) Participants can request you enable this feature.
View Closed Captions
The host and participants can select their personal viewing preference.
- Click the up arrow to the right of the CC icon to select the viewing preference.
- Show Subtitle presents transcriptions at the bottom of the screen; the subtitle window can be moved around the screen to a preferred position.
- View Full Transcript presents a continuous transcript on the right panel; a ‘Save Transcript’ option is available.
- Subtitle Settings… to change the transcription font size; move the slider to the change the size.
Note: Mobile device users will only be able to view the full transcript.
When Closed Captioning and Live Transcription are both enabled concurrently
When both a closed caption provider is in the meeting along with live transcription enabled, the text of the conversations will intermingle and can be distracting and confusing. While a participant can view both captions and transcriptions, it is suggested the host only provide the live captions. Click on the CC Live Transcript icon and Disable Auto-Transcription.
For complete details including prerequisites for using this feature:
Enabling/Disabling Closed Captions https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4409683389709-Enabling-or-disabling-closed-captioning-and-live-transcription-services
Managing Closed Captions/Live Transcriptions https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207279736-Managing-closed-captioning-and-live-transcription#h_4cb4e874-d574-4e40-ab12-7d8fae1f71cc
Viewing Closed Captions/Live Transcriptions https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4403492514829