An Alternative Host is someone who can start your meeting with host privileges. For example, if you are late or unavailable at the time of the event, a colleague with a TechConnect Zoom account can start the meeting/webinar. Another example is a tutoring center coordinator who schedules sessions for multiple tutors or instructors. Each tutor can be added as an Alternative Host for the same meeting.
At the time the meeting is scheduled the host can assign one or more Alternative Hosts. Each will receive an email message stating they were added as an Alternative Host, along with a unique link to start or join the meeting or webinar. The event will not appear in the Alternative Host’s account; however; the Alternative Hosts can join and start the meeting by using the meeting ID or meeting link from the invitation email.
Alternative host limitations
- Alternative hosts can't schedule on behalf of the host. If you need to schedule a meeting on behalf of another user, use scheduling privilege.
- If the original host joins after the alternative host, the original host is given the option to reclaim host-control of the meeting, or have the host-controls remain with the alternative host.
- If a host is attending a meeting but needs assistance with managing the meeting, they can assign a co-host during the meeting instead of an alternative host.
- Recurring meetings with scheduled occurrences cannot have their alternative hosts edited for a single occurrence. To modify the alternative host, they will need to edit all occurrences in the web portal.
Schedule a Meeting with an Alternative Host
Sign into your TechConnect Zoom account on the web portal https://www.conferzoom.org/.
- Click Meetings on the left navigation, then Schedule a Meeting on the top right.
- Enter the meeting details.
- Navigate to Options then click Show.
- In the Alternative Hosts field enter the TechConnect Zoom account email address of the Alternative Hosts.
- (Optional) Select the check box to enable Allow alternative hosts to add or edit polls.
- Click Save.
The Alternative Hosts will be listed at the bottom of the Options section in meeting details.
Alternative hosts can be added at a later time, but must be done before the meeting starts. Edit the meeting, then scroll to the Options and follow the same steps.
For complete information on designating an alternative host, see the Zoom article below: