TechConnect Zoom Live Transcription Service
Live Transcription is available in all TechConnect Zoom accounts. Live transcriptions allow participants to read the conversation occurring during a live meeting.
Live Transcriptions is an AI powered service, providing the conversations in written form using technology.
The accuracy of Zoom's live transcription service depends on many variables, such as but not limited to: volume and clarity of the speaker’s voice, background noise, Lexicons and dialects specific to a geography or community.
Note: If you need to provide compliant speech-to-text support, we recommend using a live closed caption service who may be able to guarantee a rate of accuracy. Click here to read more about closed caption services.
When live transcription service is enabled in your account (part of closed captioning), as the host you can enable transcriptions during a live meeting or webinar; participants can also request the host enable live transcriptions. Transcriptions can be viewed by all attendees in English only, and include those that took place prior to joining the meeting. Please be cognizant that when live transcription is enabled, conversations that often take place prior to starting the formal presentation will be part of the live transcription; participants will see all transcriptions prior to joining the meeting.
- Zoom desktop client for Windows, macOS: version 5.0.2 or higher.
- Zoom mobile app for Android and iOS: version 5.0.2 or higher.
Enable Auto Live Transcriptions for Meetings or Webinars
Live transcription service must be enabled in your account before scheduling meetings.
- Sign into your Zoom account at www.conferzoom.org.
- On the left navigation select Settings, then select Meeting > In Meeting (Advanced).
- Navigate to 'Closed captioning':
- Toggle to enable (blue) 'Closed captioning'
- Check all three options so they are always available.
Start Live Transcriptions in a Meeting or Webinar
Only the host can 'Enable Auto-Transcription; participants can also request the host enable live transcriptions.
1. Click on the ‘CC Live Transcript’ icon in the meeting controls.
2. Select ‘Enable Auto-Transcription’.
3. Optional to check 'Allow participants to request Live Transcription' (in the event transcriptions are
View Live Transcriptions
The host and participants can select their personal viewing preference.
1. Click the ^ to the right of the ‘CC Live Transcript’ icon to select the viewing preference:
- ‘Show Subtitle’ presents transcriptions at the bottom of the screen; the subtitle window can be moved around the screen to a preferred position.
- ‘View Full Transcript’ presents a continuous transcript on the right panel; a ‘Save Transcript’ option
- ‘Subtitle Settings…’ to change the transcription font size; move the slider to the change the size.
Note: Mobile device users will only be able to view the full transcript.
Disable Auto Live Transcriptions
The host may choose to disable live transcriptions after they have started.
Click on the 'CC Live Transcript' icon, then 'Disable Auto-Transcription'.
When a Close Caption Provider is in the Meeting
When both a live closed caption provider is in the meeting along with live transcription enabled, the text of the conversations will intermingle and can be distracting and confusing. While a participant can view both captions and transcriptions, it is suggested the host only provide the live captions. Click on the 'CC Live Transcript' icon and 'Disable Auto-Transcription'.
Note: Live transcriptions will be saved to cloud recordings as ‘Closed Caption’ .vtt file. Those viewing the recording may click on the ‘CC’ icon to show or hide subtitle. If Audio Transcript is enabled as well, an ‘Audio Transcript’ .txt file will be saved. Those viewing the recording may click on the “CC” icon and select Audio Transcript (to view to the right of the recording video) or “CC Transcript” (Live Transcript) to view in zoom window as subtitle. For Recording Settings details see: